"Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.” Proverbs 11:17
If you read this from a selfish perspective you do yourself a favor and nourish your own soul by being kind.
Who cares about the rest of the verse.
Even selfish people want to nourish their own soul.
Yet, how quick are we to share our opinion with others, our mind about things.
Yes, it is a free country. Yes, currently, there is [mostly] free speech.
We need to ask ourselves these questions.
- Is freely sharing your opinions in response to others' opinions the best thing for YOU to do?
- You have to ask yourself if you want to nourish your soul rather than destroy yourself.
Those aren't my words. But they are messing with me.
This month is the 3rd January I have done a wisdom challenge where I read a chapter of Proverbs each day.
Please be warned. If you do read Proverbs, it will mess with your sensibilities, especially in this day and age.
Our ways are not His ways. They are way better.
Imagine what our world would be like if people selfishly wanted to nourish their souls and chose to be kind.
- Kind in speech.
- Kind in understanding we all have opinions, passionate ones.
- Kind to our husband when we disagree.
- Kind to our children when they come home from a challenging day at school and you feel too tired to deal with it but listen anyway.
- Kind when someone’s post gets you all anxious and you feel the need to quickly respond, for their good, of course.🙄
- Kind even to yourself in your own opinions of yourself. That's like a double word score, 1.) being kind and giving yourself grace plus 2.) the promise of Proverbs 11:17 of nourishing your soul when you are kind [to yourself].
"I never want to have a thought about myself that God doesn't have about me." Bill Johnson.
Being kind will take lots of practice. For me, it's a moment-by-moment choice.
Here is what I'm practicing lately.
I used to read the Bible and think 'these are great truths,' then close my Bible and get on with my day.
Instead, I'm choosing to take this verse, ask the Lord to help me do the impossible. Because sometimes being kind seems impossible.
Last, I thank him that He will do a work in my heart regarding kindness then, look for opportunities where he does just that.
Can we be real? I know you think your opinion is so important to share with others. After all, how will they know if you don't tell them? This is where the hard work enters in, the impossible.
If you want to change someone's opinion, pray for them. But don't forget to be open to the idea that your thoughts might need changing, too.
What will you choose today?
Will you be selfish?
Sign up so you don't miss out on what is coming with Bloomingmolly.